Friday, November 28, 2014

Viva Italia!!


I’m passionate about learning!  I’m also passionate about art, music, and food. So when all of these things are combined….it makes for a wonderful time (at least in my opinion). 

Recently we had an event at the Back2Back group house for the children of Bonfil.  It was an art & culture night where they learned about Italy, ate Italian food, and saw paintings & sculptures by Michelangelo.  


Before everything started, I was in the kitchen with a few of the girls from Bonfil and I had to get into the fridge for something.  When I opened the door the girls stopped what they were doing and looked inside. Both of them had the same expression on their faces and stood there and said….Wow!  They were amazed by all the food that was in the fridge. Sometimes I forget all the things I have….like food in the fridge because it’s normal for me, but seeing their reaction I was reminded it’s not normal for them. 

One of the main reasons we wanted to have a night of art & culture was to expand their world beyond where they live.  Many of these kids don’t see much outside of their immediate community.  So we started the night by giving the children a passport with their picture in it, and they were given a stamp in their passport to get into the event.  

For dinner we ate baked ziti with salad and rolls while Italian music played in the background. This type of dinner was a new experience for these children, so it was fun to explain what parmesan cheese was and how to use it on the pasta.  After dinner our tutor in Bonfil (Itamar) talked about Italy and focused on some fun facts about the country and where it is located.  She then taught us about Michelangelo and some of his famous paintings & sculptures.  We saw a picture of the Sistine Chapel, Pieta, and David. 


Fun facts about Italy                                                                        Baked ziti....yum!
To top off the night we made copies of The Creation of Adam, where the hand of God is reaching out to touch Adam’s finger.  We taped the copies to the tables….flipped the tables upside down, and asked the children to climb under and start coloring.  We did this to help them understand how hard it might have been for Michelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling.  At one point I couldn't stand it any longer, I just had to see what the children were doing and why they were so quiet.  So I crawled under one of the tables and joined Danny & Ana.  They both were so engaged in what they were doing I just loved watching them.  

Danny                                                                   Danny & Julie                                                        Ana on the far right

Under the table I had “a moment” where God’s Presence was so obvious and completely overwhelming.  He loves these children so much!  They are His masterpiece.  I began to think about what it takes to create a masterpiece.  Typically, it doesn’t happen quickly. It took Michelangelo four years to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and 6 years to paint the altar.  I thought of words that could describe what it takes to make a masterpiece.  Words like passion, perseverance, patience, process, and beauty.   The process of change and transformed lives takes time.  That night I looked at Ana and Danny realizing that it may take years to see what God is doing in their lives, but along the way I can see pieces of His masterpiece coming together to create something beautiful.  
Ana with Kristin Lakes (Renovia team from Indianapolis, IN)

No comments:

Post a Comment